By Vanessa Pappas, General Manager, TikTok US
[UPDATE - March 25, 2021]: Beginning March 25, 2021, creators will need at least 100K authentic video views in the last 30 days to be eligible to join the Creator Fund. The Creator Fund is in its early stages, and we're continuously exploring new ways to improve the experience for our creator community and the way creators are rewarded. We’re looking forward to sharing more information soon!
[UPDATE - July 29]: We have seen an incredible response to the Creator Fund and are excited to share that we expect this Fund will grow to over $1 billion in the US in the next 3 years, and more than double that globally. We will be sharing more information about the application process soon!
TikTok is a platform rooted in creativity. While the past few months have been challenging for many, we've been awed by the outpouring of empathy, humor, and truly uplifting content from our users. We love seeing community form on TikTok in uniquely expressive ways. The growth of relatable content, and the entertaining and refreshing experience on the app, is a direct testament to the spirit and creativity of our talented creators.
That spirit and ability to connect with and bring joy to large audiences has already propelled thousands of creators into brand partnerships, sponsorships, and representation deals with some of Hollywood's biggest talent agencies. We're proud and honored to celebrate our family of TikTok creators who've built careers through the platform, including:
- LGBTQ+ TikTok Trailblazer, @bomanizer, whose humorous reality-show style videos caught the attention of CAA and Scale Management.
- Kentucky's beloved father-son trio, @the.mcfarlands, whose comedic, wholesome content led to collaborations with brands like Colgate, Cheetos, and Little Caesars.
- @challxn, whose makeup videos, dances, and hair tutorials made her into Fenty Beauty's first Fenty house creator, and earned her a spot on the cover of The Hollywood Reporter.
- America's mom, @iamtabithabrown, who became the face of the vegan community with her loving and personable videos, signed with CAA, and was featured on the cover of Vanity Fair.
To further support our creators, we're launching the TikTok Creator Fund to encourage those who dream of using their voices and creativity to spark inspirational careers. The US fund will start with $200 million to help support ambitious creators who are seeking opportunities to foster a livelihood through their innovative content. The fund will be distributed over the coming year and is expected to grow over that time.
The addition of the TikTok Creator Fund builds upon our ongoing commitment to support our creators through monetary opportunities including:
- Our $50M Creative Learning Fund, which introduces emerging teachers to the platform – and has benefitted over 1,000 US creators who've been affected by the global pandemic;
- TikTok LIVE streams, which bring earnings to hundreds of thousands of US creators over the age of 18 who host live programs for their audience;
- The TikTok Creator Marketplace, which helps brands discover and partner with innovative creators to collaborate on paid campaigns that drive awareness and attract new customers;
Through the TikTok Creator Fund, our creators will be able to realize additional earnings that help reward the care and dedication they put into creatively connecting with an audience that's inspired by their ideas. To be eligible, users must be 18 years or older, meet a baseline for followers, and consistently post original content in line with our Community Guidelines. The TikTok Creator Fund will open to applications from US creators beginning in August.
In a relatively short time, TikTok has grown to become a source of income and opportunity for creators and their families – and we couldn't be more encouraged by their success. As our community continues to flourish, we're committed to fostering even more ways for our creators to earn livelihoods by inspiring joy and creativity.