Celebrating our global and Australian community and the popular trends that sparked joy and real-world impact
In 2022, we lived, we laughed, and we learned on TikTok. Our Australian and global community entertained and inspired each other, elevating and celebrating self-expression by discovering, creating and sharing content that captured our collective imagination. Aussies have once again been making their mark on TikTok this year, both at home and on a global stage. Join us as we celebrate all the unforgettable trends, creators and moments that brought us closer together in 2022, a year that’s truly #ForYou.
"2022 was a year like no other, and we are so proud of the Aussies on TikTok who have shared their talents, their laughs and their life hacks with us all this year. Creators are at the heart of TikTok, and we're so excited to be able to celebrate them in our Year on TikTok 2022 lists, wrapping up the moments that defined Australian culture this year. From businesses finding new ways to reach their audiences, to creators around the country connecting within their diverse and unique communities, it has been another unforgettable Year on TikTok," said Lee Hunter, General Manager, TikTok Australia and New Zealand.
In 2022, trending content on TikTok reached For You feeds everywhere, with pets, daily vlogs, and comedy transcending cultures and borders. Check out the videos that made up some of Australia's most memorable TikTok moments this year.
- @howridiculous Extreme balloon popping, who knew?!
- @swag.on.the.beat How ya going, mate?
- @katrina_ashleighh What's so funny about a tortilla?
- @robertirwin Robert Irwin rescues one tiny but tough bloke 💪
Around the world
- @ox_zung The stitch expert shared tricks that made us gasp!
- @rosalia Rosalía showed us all how to slay.
- @lav_sings Wowed us with her #DesiTok singing skills.
- @robertirwin Conservationist Robert Irwin rescues a baby blue-tongued lizard in the Australian outback.
- @thammachad Iconic Thai creator, Thammachad, receives an award in all their glory!
- @madsie.s How to make a brownie in 45 seconds
- @drkarl What happens when you hold in a fart? Dr Karl fills us in
- @coincollecting_detecting Everything you need to know to spot a rare coin 🔎
- @nickkdempsey Learn a bit more about life with quadriplegia
- @oneminmicro What does tap water look like under a microscope? Find out!
Around the world
- @efritaasmr Anyone up for a corn dog?
- @oursignedworld A daughter learning how to get deaf father's attention warms our hearts.
- @shinanova Learning how to communicate through Inuit facial expressions with Shina and her mom Kayuula.
- @satisfcapybaraying_pottery Check out how to fit a Capybara into a ceramic mug.
- @mirendarosenberg Lady Tallow sparking the #TallowTok trend!
From fresh beats to classics making a comeback, the songs on our For You feeds made us hit repeat. In 2022, popular songs on TikTok came from established, emerging, and breakthrough artists, spanning a range of genres as diverse as our community itself. In Australia, creators have been putting an Aussie spin on these top tracks. Here are TikTok’s trending tunes this year.
- "Ginseng Strip 2002" - Yung Lean, @chloebunny_.
- "About Damn Time" - Lizzo, @nathanlust.
- "As It Was" - Harry Styles, @emhodder.
- "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)" - Kate Bush, @zach_mander.
Around the world
TikTok is a playground where artists propelled trends to the forefront of culture and inspired us with their boundless creativity this year. Aussies are at the forefront of music on TikTok - here are the artists who captured our community's ears, and eyes, with the most video views throughout 2022.
- @deanlewis Dean Lewis had us in tears this year, with his hit How Do I Say Goodbye used in over 87,000 videos
- @peachprc Peach PRC gives us an authentic look at life behind-the-scenes of TikTok's Aussie pop princess
- @thekidlaroi The Kid LAROI has continued to dominate TikTok again this year, and has shown no signs of slowing down
- @clintonkane Aussie singer-songwriter has taken the world by storm in 2022, and here he shows us how to make a song in one minute
- @joelsvnny Joel Sunny gave us an RNB classic like we've never heard before. Mixing Chris Brown's Under The Influence with his incredible violin skills
Creators are the beating heart of TikTok, driving culture and innovative content creation. In 2022, we saw creators around the world entertain and connect with communities, as well as launch their careers on and off TikTok. In Australia, we saw everyone from home cooks to stuntmen making their mark on TikTok. Here are the trending creators, celebrities and artists who hit new heights on TikTok this year.
- @andy_cooks Chef extraordinaire, sharing restaurant-quality recipes for the at-home cook
- @lukeandsassyscott The most hilarious brothers on TikTok
- @unicewani Dancing and fashion, Unice does it all!
- @howridiculous Eye popping stunts that will have you in disbelief... Don't try this at home
- @jimmyjan Giving us a lesson in staying positive despite your circumstances
Around the world
- @badbunny Puerto Rico's El Conejo Malo excited and engaged his fans by sharing special moments ahead of dropping his latest hits
- @luvadepedreiro Brazilian football creator Luva de Pedreiro's love for the game is infectious
- @bayashi.tiktok Japanese chef Bayashi, has won the hearts (and stomachs!) of our global community with his fast-paced and immersive cooking videos
- @dylanmulvaney Dylan, a trans actress and content creator hopes to inspire everyone through their journey as they take trans stories mainstream
- @astrosamantha #SpaceTok opens up to a new dimension, thanks to European Space Agency Astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti, who takes us all on brand new adventures
In 2022, TikTok continued to bring together people from all over the world with common interests and curiosities. Whatever you're interested in, whether it's #FarmTok, #MovieTok, or #CareerTok, you can find your own community and make authentic connections on TikTok. Here are some of this year's favourite communities that have taken Australia by storm.
- @pretty.bookish - A reading marathon is #BookTok at its finest.
- @aussieacrebros - Taking #LawnTok to the next level.
- @raintreeart - Incredible indigenous art from #aboriginaltiktok.
- @caiqueing.withus - A special welcome home after a hard day's work #PetsofTikTok 🦜.
- @goldenbrown.coffee - Never burn your milk again with a how-to from #CoffeeTok.
As the recent saying goes, phone eats first! This year, foodies around the world continued to find a home on TikTok, sharing their favourite cooking tips, culinary adventures and all-day cravings. In 2022, TikTok continued to bring together people from all over the world with common interests and curiosities. Here are the popular #FoodTok videos and favourite foodie trends we all couldn't get enough of this year.
- @effectivespaces Sushi in less than 30 seconds!
- @musclehoney Honey fresh off the comb.
- @daenskitchen Eggs and avocado, a match made in heaven.
- @andy_cooks DIY fish & chips, what more can you ask for.
- @lukefalzon How to live off the land, Bear Grylls eat your heart out!
This year, our community continues to be a place for discovery, inspiration and honest reviews that have products flying off the shelves, thanks to trending hashtags such as #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt, #SmallBusiness and more. TikTok is a place for SMB's to grow and flourish through sharing their unique stories and connecting with communities all over the world, in turn, unlocking opportunities that have a genuine impact on the business. Here are the popular trends and videos that made us want to 'add to cart' this year.
- @mymessymonster Essential for the messy toddler in your life!
- @theladcollective A magnetised duvet cover... genuis!
- @thelazydoor Never be left hanging with the door ajar again
- @waggsandbone Your pup will be travelling in style with this essential dog bed for your car
- @hangeasy Say goodbye to a sore back from juggling the washing and peg baskets while hanging out your laundry
"We're honoured to celebrate our global community who shaped this year's trends, shared new ideas, learned from one another, and turned their passions into careers and livelihoods throughout 2022. It's been truly inspiring to see over a billion people around the world from different backgrounds and perspectives come together to experience joy, connection and a sense of belonging on TikTok, a unique place where creativity thrives," said Vanessa Pappas, Chief Operating Officer, TikTok.