When TikTok was first launched, we set out to create a platform that would inspire creativity and bring joy, all in the palm of your hand. It's been incredible to see the reception we've had both in the UK and around the world, and is truly testament to the strength of the creative spirit, in good times and bad, and the diversity of the human mind.
From the iconic Savage and Carole Baskin mash-up, to the nation dancing to #BlindingLights - we simply couldn't have predicted the trends that have happened, and are still happening, on the platform every day.
Now, TikTok is ready to embark on the next phase of its evolution, building on the scale we've achieved in such a short period, and using our heritage of entertainment to make the platform more useful to the lives of our users.
We want people to turn to TikTok not just for entertainment, but to learn something new, to acquire a new skill, or simply get inspired to do something they've never done before. People are already doing this, and it's a trend we want to get behind and accelerate.
Today, we're announcing a €13M ($15M USD) investment across Europe to launch #LearnOnTikTok, a dedicated long-term programme to begin seeding a whole ecosystem of educational content.
We're collaborating with educators, experts, real-world skills creators and non-profits to do this, so that we can deliver the widest experience of learning in a short-form content format. From life hacks to science tutorials, motivational tips to quick cooks - we want to help people access learning that is personal, local and specific to their everyday lives in the easiest and simplest way possible.
Some of our initial #LearnOnTikTok launch partners include:
- @English.Heritage - sharing facts about British history and heritage sites in a fun and entertaining way. For example this Friday they're planning to post a mini-guided tour of Stonehenge, ahead of a livestream of the Summer Solstice sunrise at Stonehenge Sunday morning
- University of Cambridge - all about learning and discovering with the University, sharing science and research videos with interesting or surprising facts, findings and information
- @rachelrileyrr- TV presenter and mathematician to share fun and visual maths skills and tip
- @drranganchatterjee - physician, best-selling author and presenter sharing health and wellness content to help people live a full and happy life
- @DrJulieSmith - a clinical psychologist whose content focuses on alleviating stress and anxiety and promoting habits for a healthy and happy mind
- @mytinyestate - extreme DIY duo, Dean and Borja, teaching everything from DIY kitchen panelling, plastering and more
- @twistedsnaccs - getting us in the summer mood with BBQ, ice cream & strawberry hacks
- @craftfactory - helping the nation get crafty at home with everything from DIY soap bars to homemade jewellery
This is a natural evolution for TikTok that has already started to happen organically, with ingenious cleaning hacks, football tips and beauty tricks taking off on the platform. We hope our users will continue to share their talents with the world on TikTok, showing that entertainment and learning can come together through short-form content.