We loved seeing the #OlympicSpirit on TikTok during the Summer Olympic Games.
The hashtag garnered over 6 billion views, bringing everyone together in celebration of the Games and inspiring a new generation of creators and athletes. Diverse communities from all over the world came together on TikTok over a shared love of sports, athletes and teams they care about.
To celebrate the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics kicking off this week, we have a series of exciting activations and challenges that you can get involved with on TikTok.
Be sure to follow the #Paralympics hashtag, which will bring together all of the incredible sporting achievements and content from our world-beating Paralympians. #DisabilityAwareness has also been putting a spotlight on iconic athletes and our incredible community of people with disabilities.
With over 540 million views already, we've seen some inspiring videos of Paralympians opening up on TikTok to break raise awareness and break down barriers, including ParalympicsGB sprinter and long jumpers Olivia Breen and Stef Reid.
Also be sure to check out the official @ParalympicsGB account, for special behind the scenes content and reaction videos from athletes during the Games and show your support for ParalympicsGB!
For even more exclusive content from the Games, tune into a special series of TikTok LIVEs from @Paralympics - as athletes from around the world come together to share their own personal experience of what its like at the Paralympics; from getting ready to compete to life at the Olympic village!
To celebrate the start of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics we are also launching a purple flame effect, so that our community can get involved in the action and show their support for all of the Paralympians.
We will also be working with Channel 4, the official broadcaster of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games, to create a bespoke Paralympics Hub in the UK. Content will include behind the scenes access from athletes, event and medals highlights with a split screen 'reaction' format, and a Q&A series with athletes.
Over the past few months, athletes from all over the world have turned to TikTok to share their unique experiences, letting their personalities shine through in an authentic and relatable way that has never been seen before. If you want to get up close and personal, check out some of our favourite Paralympians to follow on TikTok:
- Kadeena Cox - the cyclist and sprinter shares incredibly relatable videos, from Covid tests, jet lag in Tokyo as well as her experiences with MS
- Stef Reid - follow the long jump and sprinter for her Paralympics journey, and top tips for getting the ultimate core
- Oliver Lam-Watson - the fencer shared his 'day in the life' from Paralympics prep camp, as well as his fencing weapons!
- Hannah Cockroft - the 5x Paralympic Champion and world record holder wheelchair racer filmed her journey to Tokyo
- Ali Smith - the sprinter showed her heavy weight sessions in the gym as well as video calling her mum from Tokyo!
- Libby Clegg - the spot put athlete shared her experiences being blind for #disabilityawareness and how she juggles being an athlete and mum