We want our users to have their best experience online, which means being able to create and have fun while feeling safe and comfortable. This post is part of our Community Well-Being series that aims to educate users on how to customize their TikTok experience using the various safety, privacy, and well-being tools available to them.
We take our Community Guidelines seriously, because we're committed to keeping TikTok a positive, welcoming space where every user can nurture their creativity and find entertainment. It's important that users adhere to these guidelines in order to ensure that TikTok remains a safe, fun platform for everyone.
But what happens if someone posts content you find to be offensive or against these rules? Our moderation team works hard to remove content that violates our guidelines, but we also encourage our global TikTok community to help by reporting any inappropriate content you may come across.
What type of content should you report?
- Self injury. Being an active TikTok user means making sure your fellow community members feel safe and supported. Positive comments are always a do, but if someone's content has you wanting to offer additional resources, submitting a report is one of the ways you can help.
- Harassment or bullying. If you feel someone is harassing you or otherwise being inappropriate, please report them so our moderation team can review and take appropriate action.
- Hate Speech. Hate speech is not permitted on TikTok, period. We are committed to promoting a safe and positive app environment for our global community and there is absolutely no place for discrimination, including hate speech, on this platform. If you aren’t sure if something qualifies as hate speech, report it with a note and our moderators will jump in to review.
- Nudity. Our community is not the place for sexually explicit content. If you happen to find something that isn’t suitable to be done or shown in public view, report it.
- Copyright infringement. TikTok is a place for creativity and expression that’s unique and original. Don’t support users who violate someone else’s copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property rights.
- Spam. Our community values high-quality, engaging content. Content or behavior that is spammy, fake, or misleading needs to go.
How to report content in the app
So you’ve identified a post or user that’s violating our Community Guidelines, what next? You can either report a user profile, or a specific video or comment you’ve come across.
To report a troubling account:
- From the profile of the problematic account, tap on the 3 dots in the top-right corner
- Choose “Report” and follow the on-screen instructions
To report an inappropriate video:
- Tap on the sharing arrow on the video page (just above the music icon)
- Choose “Report” and follow the instructions to best identify why you are flagging the content.
At TikTok, we believe keeping your community safe is part of fostering creativity and originality and we're doing a lot of stuff on our end to make this happen. In addition, we believe the community can also be just as valuable in keeping TikTok safe. You can help keep your community wonderful by being a unique, positive contributor and by reporting abuse, spam or anything else that doesn’t follow our Community Guidelines. Reporting misuse is a great way for you to help TikTok continue to be an entertaining and supportive community and ensure your feed stays the full of content you enjoy.