Year-end report celebrates trends, creators, movements and moments, powered by the community
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - December 6, 2021 - In celebration of a 2021-of-a-kind year made possible by entertainment driven by the community, today TikTok unveils Year On TikTok 2021, a year-end report that looks back on the trends, creators, movements and moments that made this year one to remember in Malaysia and around the world.
TikTok is a unique place where culture starts and where creativity knows no bounds - where anyone can discover, create, and share content they love. In 2021, over 1 billion people turned to TikTok to be entertained, find and share their joy with others, and learn new things.
"There is something really special about the global community on TikTok that people just can't find anywhere else. For us, 2021 was a year for connection and we’ve seen people on TikTok laughing together, entertaining us, starting cultural phenomenons, and teaching us new things. It has been incredible to see the depths of entertainment and creativity from this community, and we're delighted to celebrate all the ways we have come together this year on TikTok," said Vanessa Pappas, Chief Operating Officer, TikTok.
Ask on TikTok
To celebrate your own year on TikTok, starting today, we're also launching Ask on TikTok, a new Q&A feature inviting you to look back on your most memorable moments in 2021. Simply choose which questions you want to answer about your year in the app. People can choose a question like "What was your 2021 highlight?" or "what was your happiest moment of 2021?" and answer it in a new creation or by sharing a previous TikTok video.
"It's been humbling to see how our community has continued to grow and support one another this year. In Malaysia, we've seen trends start and spread across For You feeds, from showing our love for food through #MYFoodie, to even debuting our very own TikTok artist, Fatia. We're humbled to see how much joy our community have brought us this year, and we're excited to experience more incredible moments as we continue this journey together," added Darren Quek, TikTok Strategy Operations Manager, Malaysia.
Year on TikTok 2021
FYFaves: Popular videos
- @chicken_royale - There's no such thing as too much cheese!
- @hannymaru1 - What's a top video list without some popular trends?
- @ruthbellpan - Are you the 5% who can do this trick?
Around the World
- @totouchanemu - Dancing with a drone made us stay for this one.
- @nathanevanss - There once was a man... The Sea Shanty heard around the world.
- @youneszarou - A tasty take on photography.
- @cunhalucass - A casual trip to the aquarium.
- @a.z.yx - BRB, changing my PFP.
Powered by Joy: Videos that brought so much joy
- @ruthbellpan - Beware of scammers... or turn the tables on them.
- @rananaeem006 - You can lead a horse a water, but you can't make him drink!
- @umer.final - Some people do have a conscience, after all.
Around the World
- @k_passionate - Wonder what a sea otter and you smiling sounds like? Watch this.
- @jongraz - Was it a bones or no bones day? Only a pug can tell.
- @edsheeran - Rehearse for the EUROs or make a TikTok?
- @randyfeltface - Only on TikTok will you find a puppet feeding a giraffe carrots.
- @noorstars - Visiting a family with too many house rules.
The Playlist: Popular songs
- "Money" ,@blackpinkofficial - Lisa,
- "DJ BonBon Remix", @fhaa_official - Fhaa
- "Dancing With Your Ghost Remix",@loto_fakatokilalo - țÂBûÂ
Around the World
- "Astronaut in the Ocean", @jayprehistoricpets- Masked Wolf
- "Beggin'" , @therealmaneskin- Måneskin
- "Adderall (Corvette Corvette)" , @justmaiko- Popp Hunna
- "SugarCrash!" , @zuro_xuro- ElyOtto
- "STAY", @luckythirteenz - The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber
Breakthrough Stars: Creators, celebrities and public figures on the rise
Around the World
- @khaby.lame - @khaby.lame
- @abbyroberts - @abbyroberts
- @BTS_official_bighit - @BTS_official_bighit
- @thedutchgoalkeeper - @thedutchgoalkeeper
- @angryreactions - @angryreactions
Only on TikTok: Trends powered by TikTok features
Around the World
- @livbedumb - Inverted Filter
- @hilaryhyra - Versailes Run
- @alexmapeli - Retro-Vintage DV
- @andrewlarranaga - Duet
- @robothighway - Buffering
- @radiotelevisyenmalaysia - Lee Zii Jia perfectly exemplifies the Olympics Spirit.
- @astroarena - Shout out to all the athletes who represented us for Malaysia!
- @syazana.rosly - Skating is a sport too!
Top Culture Moments
- @idris_shamsuddin - Malaysians showed up in droves to show their love for Merdeka under the #MalaysiaPrihatin hashtag!
- @teddybeardr - What's Deepavali without good food with loved ones?
- @keen.kin - Try out Bat Kut Teh, or literally translated into Meat-Bone-Tea. We think it's time to Bone-Apple-Tea!
- @assenshawl - Find out how to jazz up your look with new hijab styles.
Voices of Change: Creators, celebrities and public figures at the forefront of social movements and moments
- @shinanova - @shinanova
- @benjy_lookbook - @benjy_lookbook
- @paballokgware - @paballokgware
- @francetvslash - @francetvslash
- @hunterprosper - @hunterprosper
Eats on Repeat: #FoodTok trends and other favorites
- @d_shaba - Feta Pasta
- @samseats - Ratatoutille
- @rafael.nistor - Fried Cheese
- @omuraisupuro - Egg Mastery
- @cznburak - Supersized cheeseburger
The Wishlist: Trends inspired by #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt
- Magnetic Sticky Notes - @davidorsteven
- Laser Star Projector - @davidorsteven
- Skincare Favorites - @davidorsteven
- Hair Rollers - @davidorsteven
- Outfit Inspiration - @davidorsteven
Big Little Communities: Popular subcultures and niche communities
- #BookTok - The world's most creative book club.
- #SportTok - Everyone gets a trophy here.
- #LearnOnTikTok - From creating mini dolls to cleaning hacks and so much more, there's so much to learn on TikTok.
- #BeautyTok - All the beauty and care tips.
- #NatureTok - Nature at your fingertips, seriously.
Join us as we celebrate 2021 on TikTok - and it's all powered by you. Stay tuned as we release the top creators, verticals and challenges in Malaysia on 15 December, where we have a year rewind to recognize the moments and people that matters to our users and reinforce TikTok as a diverse content platform!
# # #
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, Mountain View, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo. www.tiktok.com.